Why Facebook is actually Ryan Gosling and more alter egos in social media
Social media platforms can be overwhelming and confusing. What platforms to choose based on your goals? Nevermind the details; sometimes all you want is the gist & the takeaway point. So here we break each of the 5 main platforms down into recognizable players in the modern world.
Facebook is Ryan Gosling. He is 90% about the image. The remaining 10%: the written word, is his acting, dancing, reel-you-in-with-those-puppy-eye skills. He is friends with everyone; industry, friends, and fans. People flock to the theatres for a Ryan Gosling movie. Take my money. Don’t really care for his role or the content of that film, because I’m sold on his image.
Takeaway point: Treat the image seriously, more like a movie billboard than a simple post. It should be appealing and informative, and speaks for itself. Keep the copy short and impactful. Specify what you want the viewer to do after seeing this post. Don’t worry about being overbearing; clear CTAs are better than lost, wishy-washy posts.
Instagram is Gigi Hadid. Where is she? What is she doing now? What is she eating? Who is she with? We are interested because she appeals to the eyes and has somewhat of a likeable quality about her. Gigi eating an In-N-Out burger? She’s so real. I kinda want a burger right now. Gigi on a yacht? What is she wearing- I want that bathing suit. Gigi in a limo with all your dream top 10 celebs? I can dream.
Takeaway point: Make the image realistically interesting. Gigi Hadid eating a burger is realistic (anyone can eat a burger), and interesting (models eating burger?? Wow tell me more). For brands, this lesson should translate into portraying how their product fits into (realistically) and upgrades (interesting) the consumer’s lifestyle.
Twitter is CNN. What’s trending now? It can jump from a civilian attack in Syria, to Taylor Swift’s beef with Kanye, to ranking the top 10 cutest animals. No flow whatsoever. I only have a few microseconds to catch your attention so I will try to address every single train of thought.
Takeaway point: Stay on top of trends. Follow of breaking news, everything from new cancer cures to another Donald Trump tweet. Create a strategy based on popular weekly hashtags (i.e. #MotivationMonday, #TuesdayTruth) and based on daily holidays, big and small (i.e. Memorial Day vs. National Chocolate Chip Day). Also, work on building your following, as it gives your account an instant boost in legitimacy.
Pinterest is Gwyneth Paltrow. All aspiration with some utility. Everything looks better here, from food to travel destinations to sofas. You build your Goop approved life through boards. Occasionally you’ll find some good life tips, most of which are conveniently oversimplified and gloriously packaged. But most of the time you’ll go from board to board to board, occasionally hitting that “Buy Now” button to be one step closer in making your board come true.
Takeaway point: Create a fantasy board based on your product offerings. However, this concept is not only exclusive for luxury brands. Lowe’s for example, may not be the most romantic brand at first, but have managed to find a twist for a great Pinterest presence full of dreamy renovation ideas and DIY projects. Finally, 87% of pinners have purchased a product because of Pinterest. Be consistent with your on-brand pinning and you’re sure to catch a few leads.
Snapchat is your (future) child. Imagine if you had a son or a daughter. You would want to know exactly what they’re doing at all times. Because they make you laugh and because you share a connection with them. Occasionally you’ll see more than what you expected but you secretly love it anyway.
Takeaway point: Be cool and funny. Like in a grade school way tho. When in doubt, ask yourself: “would my future child, or grade school niece or nephew, think it’s interesting?” Be honest with yourself. Growing on Snapchat is arguably the most difficult among other platforms, as youth have increasingly discerning tastes, and people have to accept your follow requests. So be prepared to take on the challenge of getting the 18-25 year old’s attention as you embark on your journey, snap by snap.
So you’ve got the gist. Now comes the hard work, following up with a platform-specific strategy. Don’t have time to do this right now? Talk to us about our “AMUSE Ready-Set-Go” packages, a 3-month program where we create & implement an initial strategy; train your staff the fundamentals; and get you going on your long term digital media journey.